Gustavo Trifari started his career as an apprentice of his grandfather Luigi Trifari, that runned a workshop in Napels, Italy as a goldsmith.
In 1910 he founded with his uncle Trifari NYC after worked with him as partners in Trifari&Trifari for a couple of years.
In 1917 Leon Krussman joined the firm as a sales director, and in 1918 the company Trifari and Krussman was formed.
From 1920, after Carl Fishel entered the firm the name was transformed to Trifari, Krussman and Fishel, later just the name Trifari was used.
The production started with hair ornaments, bar pins and buckles, later tghe firm was best known for being one of the leading producers of high quality costume jewelry.
From 1930 to 1968 Alfred Philippe was head designer. He worked for Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels. He used high quality imported Swarovski rhinestones, that were hand-set in the jewels.
With him a number of designers joined the company through the years, such as Jean Paris, (1958-1965), Andre Boeuf (1967-1979), Diane Love (1971-1974) and Kunio Matsumoto (70's).
In 1947 "Trifanium"was developed, a special casted metal, that after filing and polishing held a great amount of gold plating, which made the jewels very lasting.
The Original designs and high quality have made Trifari jewelry to a highly wanted collectors items, and therefor they are still today very wearable and fashionable.